2.23.2009

Lent

I really feel like the Lord is leading me to participate in a Lenten fast this year. Now, for all of my friends who have more knowledge on the traditions and practices of Lent let me be the first do admit that I know very little about the Lenten season because I come from a church tradition that does not advocate participating in Lent. However, they also do not shun it either.
With that said, recently God and I have been doing some serious bonding and with that he has been gracious to show me some areas of overcrowding in my life--as in areas that are taking over God's rightful place. Sadly, one of these areas is my computer. I spend entirely way too much time on my computer--in particular on facebook and checking and reading blogs. I'm not telling you this so that you feel guilty or I sound like a super Christian. I'm telling you this so that those of you who care enough to read my blog know my heart.
So, starting on Wednesday I will be going on a 40 day computer fast--using my computer only for working purposes. I will use this time to draw closer to my Jesus and allow him to reveal himself to me in new and powerful ways. Believe me, I recognize that I could have chosen to do a computer fast at anytime and in the future I may do more fasts on different things that I think are consuming my life. But for now, the Lenten season is upon us and there is no better time.
Friends, if you need me please don't contact me via facebook as I will not be checking it. I will check my e-mail or you can always call.
I'm praying that through this time of fasting God will be all I need. Something that has stuck with me for a while now is something that a really awesome worship leader, who happens to also be a good friend said. As he was leading worship for a college revival he stopped in the middle of a song. The song was, Your Grace Is Enough by Chris Tomlin. (See lyrics below) I suppose he sensed that people were singing but not really worshiping. He said something to the effect of, "It's easy to sing the words, lift up our hands and when the song is over sit down. But when all is said and done, when the rubber hits the road is His grace really enough? Is His grace really the only thing you need?" I love that and have thought about that a lot. Is His grace really enough for me?
Praying that God reveals himself to you too and that His grace is enough...

Your Grace is Enough

Great is Your faithfulness oh God
You wrestle with the sinner's heart
You lead us by still waters and to mercy
And nothing can keep us apart

So remember Your people
Remember Your children
Remember Your promise
Oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me

Great is Your love and justice God
You use the weak to lead the strong
You lead us in the song of Your salvation
And all Your people sing along

So remember Your people
Remember Your children
Remember Your promise
Oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me (x2)

So remember Your people
Remember Your children
Remember Your promise
Oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me

Your grace is enough
Heaven reaching down to us
Your grace is enough for me
God i see your grace is enough
I'm covered in your love
Your grace is enough for me
For me

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Sally! I just found your blog--so cute. How wonderful that you are observing Lent this year. I grew up Catholic and always thought Lent was a beautiful season and great way to prepare your heart for Easter. HUGS!
Katie

Christine said...

Maybe you won't even see these comments... but way to go on the fasting! We're fasting all meat this Lent, and Steve is even going a step further and fasting as much dairy and other animal products as possible (which is the traditional strict Orthodox Lenten fast.) I'm cheering for you all the way.

Unknown said...

WOW! You are such an inspiration! What a great idea! What a blessing you are! Please blog after lent about what the Lord is revealing!

bkgiff said...

Wow, that is really neat. I know God will meet you in those times. He is an AWESOME God!!

revmac said...

love it.