1.27.2009

Domestic Goddess

On Monday I went to Walgreens to pick up some pictures and I was very thirsty. So, I bought a pop--a diet orange soda. I don't normally drink orange pop but it sounded good.

When I got home, I thought I had the lid on tight and I accidentally knocked the bottle on our cream carpet. Orange pop was everywhere. I quickly picked the bottle up and immediately put some Resolve on it and blotted it out...it's what I do with every stain that ends up on our carpet and it usually gets it out no problem.

The next morning I had all but forgotten about the orange spot when Eric saw it and asked what was on the carpet. The Resolve did not work and I was left with a large orange spot on the living room carpet. He tried more Resolve and scrubbing with no success. I told him not to worry that I would figure something out...although I didn't quite know what to do.

I quickly got on Google to research how to get set in stains out of carpet. Come to find out orange is one of the hardest stains to get out of carpet. Go figure. But I came across a website that said to take a wet, soapy washcloth, lay it over the stain and then iron over it...that's right IRON! It said the iron against the wet cloth would act like a steamer and pull the stain right out.

Well, it took me a while to find the iron because well, I don't iron...ever! If I want something unwrinkled I throw it in the dryer for a few minutes and if Eric has a shirt that is wrinkled then he can either wear it wrinkled or attempt to fix the said problem himself. I loathe ironing. Anyway, I digress. I found the iron and though fearful I was going to burn a large hole in the carpet with my iron, I proceeded with caution. To my surprise, it worked! The website said it may take a few times for the stain to completely come up so I will keep at it. But for now the bright orange soda stain has become more of a dull orange memory!

Here's to my domestic goddess tip of the day! Don't hold your breath for any more tips from me...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am laughing!!!! It will come out, it may take time...I have dog vomit spots that I eventually had to have professionally cleaned! By the way, I have never seen diet Sunkist...what a great idea!

Kari said...

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser works wonders also-it took up an entire glass of grape juice that landed on our couch once upon a time. Glad you had great luck with the iron, though!